Basics Dog Training Home Page
All Types Of Worms
What Your Is
Aging Dog Care
More Articles About
Caring For An Older Dog . Tips,
Feeding Your Dog
Healthy Dog Food
To HelpThem Remain
Active And Live
Guide To Diagnosing And
Dog Health Problems
one of the most important people in your dog's life. You should
choose your veterinarian just as you select your own doctor..
Dog Health Emergencies
an emergency or an accident, you can
reduce your dog’s immediate pain.......
a number of pet grooming
methods that can be used to groom your dog ....
Aid For Dog Poisoning
Poisons can enter the body in 3 ways; through the skin, by being
inhaled, or by being eaten. Because of the dog’s curious nature, they
are usually poisoned by ingestion. In order to prevent your dog from
accidental poisoning, you must keep all household chemicals that are
potentially toxic out of his reach. These include insecticides,
alkaline household cleaners such as paint strippers, shampoos, flea
collars, batteries, and medicines.
Removing paint and tar from the dog’s coat
To remove either paint or tar from your dog’s coat, soften it with
petroleum jelly or another similar product that is safe for human skin.
Cut off any heavily contaminated and matted fur. The next step is to
wash the contaminated area with canine shampoo or baby shampoo, then
Poisoning through ingestion
If you catch your dog eating something that you think is dangerous,
restrain him and examine the package or substance carefully for
instructions. Contact the vet or your local poison control center
immediately for advice. With the help of another person, give your dog
hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Getting him to vomit will
eliminate some of the poison that has already entered his body and will
buy you some time until he gets treated by the vet.
To make your dog vomit, draw the hydrogen peroxide into a syringe or a
turkey baster. Tip your dog’s head back and squirt it toward the back
of his tongue. Generally, your dog will start to vomit within a few
minutes. If he does not vomit after 5 minutes, wait for another 5
minutes and then try again. Do not give your dog more than two doses of
the solution because administering too much hydrogen peroxide can cause
potential complications. Also, do not use ipecac or other
over-the-counter products that are used by humans. While it is safe for
us, it can be toxic for our pets.
Do not induce vomiting if your dog has eaten caustic chemicals such as
drain cleaner because the poison will cause a double burn as it is
going down and then coming back up. If he got into something alkaline
like drain cleaner, what you need to do instead is to give him
something to neutralize the chemicals, such as 3 teaspoons of vinegar
or lemon juice diluted in the same amount of water.
With poisoning, every minute counts. If the poison has already taken
effect and the dog has collapsed, you need to take him to the vet
immediately along with a sample of whatever it is that has poisoned
him. Treatment is most effective if the vet knows the type of toxic
substance that the dog has ingested.
There are more
information articles on all aspects of basics dog training, dog health
issues, dog grooming and dog nutrition in
John Mailer's article directory
2007 http://www.BasicsDogTraining .com
First Aid For Dog Poisoning